In the course of the pandemic, more and more companies are deciding to run their business remotely and, consequently, move enterprise resources to the cloud. This allows the company to survive in temporary isolation, and also protects the company from similar situations in the future. In this article, I write about how to move your business to the cloud and the benefits of doing so.
Remote working in the age of coronavirus
Research shows that up to 75% of employees in Poland would like to work remotely. Still, remote work in the age of social distancing isolation can be difficult for your employees. Especially when they have not been exposed to this mode of work before. To avoid the negative effects associated with remote work, your task is to provide your employees with such conditions that they can smoothly complete all projects, just as they did before. Here are the challenges that remote mode most often poses to businesses:
- lack of direct supervision,
- lack of access to information,
- social isolation,
- disruption of attention at home.
In both Italy and the U.S., remote work has played a key role during the coronavirus pandemic. Responding to the crisis, companies have begun, among others, to:
- move traditional offline sales channels to omnichannel, e*commerce,
- "borrow" employees * people from the travel, hospitality, catering, and cinema industries who were out of work could be hired by chain stores that urgently needed additional employees,
- look for viable solutions to deliver their products even when the entire country was closed,
- adapt to the situation through data analysis,
- move employees from stationary stores to the online world, where they became brand ambassadors,
- launch virtual showrooms with augmented reality options so that you can "try out" the products.
In Poland, there are also companies that have quickly managed to move their business online. One example is the Coders Lab IT school, which in 48 hours managed to switch the entire school of classroom teaching to remote learning. When other schools were closing down, at Coders Lab, 50 groups, or 600 students studying in 5 different cities were given the opportunity to attend classes as previously scheduled via Virtual Classroom.
How to support people working remotely?
In order for your company to successfully switch to remote mode as a manager you should take steps to improve communication with your team and also allow employees to collaborate effectively. Actions you can take in this regard include:
- planning daily contact with the team (e.g. morning statuses),
- providing effective ways of communication (tools for videoconferencing, instant messaging),
- defining rules of communication or creating a set of good practices,
- providing opportunities for online social interaction (e.g. teleconference "coffee together"). In addition, you should provide employees with the necessary applications and tools to help manage all projects efficiently, such as:
- a system that allows access to critical applications from their home IPs,
- communicators and applications for exchanging information between company employees,
- tools conducive to building relationships with clients (teleconferences, complaint handling, service, helpdesk, etc.)
- applications for team work on documents and their easy sharing,
- applications for handling human resources and payroll issues.
To do it right, all applications implemented in your company should be integrated with each other in terms of data and information flow.
Benefits of moving your business to the cloud
Remote working is a trend whose importance is growing from year to year. This is mainly due to the increasingly rapid development of digital technology, but not only. The current coronavirus threat situation, makes remote working a necessity in many companies. Fortunately, according to conducted surveys, as many as 70% of people who have the opportunity to work remotely are satisfied with this mode of fulfilling their duties. What is more, remote work is also beneficial for the companies themselves. The transition to remote work mode is facilitated by cloud solutions. Companies that have decided to use them, save, among others, on the costs of office maintenance, business trips and training. Transferring company resources to the cloud also has other advantages.
It is primarily the ability of the company to work in an environment of distributed teams. An example of this is the ability to edit one document by many people at the same time. A major advantage of cloud tools is also the low cost of using them. How much you pay depends entirely on you and the needs of your business. The cloud is fully scalable, so you use only the server space you need, and thus pay only for the resources used.
The monthly subscription price of the application includes: maintenance, customer support, hosting and many other elements that would be very expensive if these solutions were kept on company servers. Cloud applications are also easier to implement. These systems can be integrated quickly and easily with other coexisting solutions in the company. The most important benefits of moving the company to the cloud are:
- no need to invest in infrastructure
- savings on office maintenance,
- access to applications from any place,
- greater security of data storage,
- immediate possibility of expanding the corporate cloud with new applications,
- automatic backups.
Move your business to the cloud. How can a software house help you?
If you move your company to the cloud with a software house, you can be sure that you will do it in a safe way and with maximum benefits. Softiero's team will guide your company through all the steps of the process. First, we will invite you for a free consultation to find out what you expect from us, as well as to dispel your doubts about cloud operations and online data security. We will support the process of moving data, applications, and other business elements from your organization's physical infrastructure to the cloud. In doing so, we will keep your business goals in mind. We will also help you develop cloud-ready applications, and we will propose a hybrid solution for companies that need to keep some of their applications in the data center.